- Stock up on lunch possibilities at your grocery store. Buy random ingredients such as mango’s, raisins, peas, and cauliflower to add some life and color to your salad. You can mix and match any of your favorite ingredients.
- Keep it easy!
- Prepare lunch the night before. Refridgerate overnight and in the morning pack in an insulated box or bag with frozen ice or gel packs. A premade lunch will drastically reduce the sence of being rushed.
- Add a sweet treat to your lunch. Use fresh fruits in place of candy bars, cakes, or cookies.
- Eat slowly - Sit during lunch - Eat off of a plate
- Focus on your meal - Eat only if you’re hungry
- Use 2-3 ounces of lean meat or poultry that has been roasted or
- Use a minimal amount of fat free or reduced fat dressing
- Load on the vegetables. Use cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, and other veggies to add flavor and texture.
Other Quick Options
1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
1/2 small red onion, sliced
1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup diced yellow summer squash
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup carrots, thinnly sliced
1/4 cup red pepper, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bake pie shell at 400° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms, squash and garlic in butter until tender. Add spinach; saute 1 minute longer. Spoon into crust; top with cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, salt, rosemary and pepper until blended; pour over cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 6-8 servings.
1/2 lb. carrots, sliced
1 med. onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 can (14 oz. each) whole tomatoes in juice
1/2 sm. head bok choy, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and each cut into thirds
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 can (48 oz) vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1 bag (6 oz. each) baby spinach leaves
- Coat 8-quart stockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, add carrots, onions, celery, peppers, squash, and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add bok choy, green beans, broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; stir in spinach and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
Happy and healthy eating,